Monday, November 30, 2009

Kick the Footlights Out

Annie read the book, then Emily read the book, so then it was Chasley’s turn to read the book. I would occasionally skip around to the chapters that I thought I would like the best, and Emily would tell on me. Annie did not like this. It’s quite common though because I think, I’ll probably never make it to those pages anyway. But this time, it was different. I read every single page, even the credits. The topic was “exploring the endless connections between sexuality and spirituality”, and the book was Sex God by Rob Bell. I was familiar with his work because I had completed a video study of his through my youth group in high school. Chapter 8 is titled Johnny and June. Walk the Line is one of my favorite movies; so naturally, this was my go to chapter.

“Whatever it is they had, it spread. It spilled over. It couldn’t be contained by just the two of them. It affected those around them. It inspired those around them.”

“Their marriage got better and better. They were more in love as the years went by.”

“A marriage is designed not to add to the brokenness of the world but to add to the “oneness” of the world. This man and this woman who have given themselves to each other are supposed to give the world a glimpse of hope, a display of what God is like, a bit of echad on earth.”

The book was such a blessing, and it taught me so much about my relationship with God and the design of a relationship between a man and a woman. Savannah and Chandler, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I consider the book a must read.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh chas! I've started that book and it's absolutely amazing! I can't wait til I make it to that chapter!

    ReplyDelete