Tuesday, November 3, 2009

1, 2 Buckle my Shoe

It was the classic look, a smocked dress with lace and ribbon, white or black stockings depending on the season and shoes with a strap across the top of my foot that had a buckle on each side. I miss the days when my Dad would strategically buckle my shoes. If I still wore Mary Jane’s, I would definitely make him go back to the days that I sat on the bench at the end of my parent’s bed before Sunday morning church. I would prop my leg up, and he would secure the shoe to the perfect fit. Maybe it made me think I was Cinderella and my Prince Charming was just around the corner waiting to see if the slipper fit, or maybe it was tradition, but it never failed because this was our routine. After he would put on my shoes, he would hand me a dollar bill that I would place in the offering plate at the eleven o’clock service at The First Baptist Church. I still go back to tradition when I can. My dad and I still have games of H-O-R-S-E in our driveway, and he still spreads butter on my Club crackers in restaurants. Lets face it, when Mary Jane shoes come back in style for 20-year-old daughters, he’ll be buckling.

2 comments:

  1. Fashion....Ha!!! We all know you wore those "Mary Janes" because you couldn't tie your own shoes until you were 12!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! I love tradition and this story fits you and your relationship with your dad so well!

    ReplyDelete