Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Glow Fish


My parent’s have never been the type to bribe me with gifts so that I would do my best. I was never offered new rollerblades for making all A’s or the beauty salon Polly Pocket for cleaning my room. At age six, I was scrubbing toilets without a prize waiting for me as I finished the guest bathroom. My Mom has never been the type to mess around, and until I went to college, she had never had a cleaning lady. Why have a cleaning lady when you have June Cleaver for a daughter. These were Lynette’s thoughts exactly. So when my parent’s took me to Wal-Mart and told me to pick out an item or two that I wanted, I didn’t think there would be an if, and or but attached. So the Ariel lover in me came out as I chose a nightgown that had glitter, neon, glow in the dark fish and a blue and red Snoopy fishing rod. After the purchase, I soon learned that I would only be receiving these gifts if I acted right as I took my first trip down the aisle. I was the flower girl in my cousin’s wedding. Looking back I wonder why my parent’s were so worried that I wouldn’t act right. I was always the child that acted mostly right. I had been chased around the house a time or two with a belt. I knew what leather felt like on bare legs. It was my first time as a flower girl, and I had not known much about weddings. One could say this is when my obsession began. I loved the cake, the flowers and the dresses. The same things I loved at four I still love at 21. I remember thinking that I had never seen anyone prettier. My cousin was marrying the most beautiful girl who was dressed in an ivory, off the shoulder, lace gown. Still to this day I think she is the prettiest bride I have ever seen. All the ladies and bridesmaids were coming up and pampering me. They told me what to do, how to smile, where to stand and the proper way to throw the petals. It was an important task for a little girl. I was preceding the bride down the aisle. Needless to say I nailed it, and my parents never found out how mean I was to the ring bearer. I received my nightgown and rod.

1 comment:

  1. WTG for nailing it.

    And, it's so good that you have your own motivation...our next generation is so scary..they don't!

    ReplyDelete