Sunday, January 3, 2010

Auld Lang Syne, 2010

On New Year’s Eve, I attended a dinner party at the Tampa Bay History Museum. There, I saw a few familiar faces, but most I was introduced to as, “this is my niece, Chas.” I love my aunt. All my friends have met her, and they know how much she means to me. The party honored those who support Auburn Athletics. I was mingling on the patio when Mr. Jacobs announced that Coach Chizik had arrived. I walked inside and stood with the crowd that had gathered around him. He did a fantastic job, and throughout his speech he used the words thankful and humble. He said many things that I will remember from his speech, but those two words caught my attention the most. They reminded me of the past year, and I reflected on the lessons God taught me. I can recall situations that left me on my face, asking God for forgiveness and guidance. Even though I would never want to return to those situations, I am still very thankful for them. The time that I am most broken is also the time that I experience God’s love like never before. I was flooded with scripture about love. I was reading in the New Testament, and I still reflect back on the scripture that I underlined in my Bible. God was preparing me for future relationships, and before I left for Italy my prayer was to show those who I meet Christ’s love. I am encouraged to build relationships with those who have not experienced Christ’s love, so that they may see the Christ in me. Today, I listened to a sermon on the situations that God places us in. Some are sent and some are allowed. God places struggles in our life, so that we may depend on Him. It’s an act of dying to self, picking up our cross and following Him.

“In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” -Matthew 5:16

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” -Ephesians 4:2

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” -Philippians 2:3

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.” -1 John 4:7

“…being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” -Philippians 1:4

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.” -Colossians 4:5

“Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.” -1 Peter 3:8

No comments:

Post a Comment