Friday, January 15, 2010

One in Every Crowd

I consider it a privilege to live in the quant rural town where I was born and raised, so when I meet people who say they have just moved here, I greet them with open arms. At dinner with a few friends, and I was introduced to a guy who had just moved here from North Carolina. Before he could hear my name, I say, Oh my goodness, we used to date! After a few sentences of trying to convince him that I was his ghost of girlfriends past, I realized that my skit was going over like a lead balloon. I volunteered to show him around town, but he wouldn’t take the offer. Kristy explained that she thought I had scared him with my forward tactic. Jordon has a theory that my future husband will see the silly and crazy side, but still be interested in getting to know me and ask me to dinner. Then he will see the deep and serious side and just fall head over heels. But then again, what if I have already met a great potential, but I have just scared him off with my out of control demeanor. Goodness. I’ve asked my dad to hire engineers that could be potential son in laws. He said he would never set me up with anyone, because he would be too worried about how I would act on a date. This would be right after he told me I brought joy to his life. I think that’s a double standard. Someone once mentioned, they told me you were crazy. I said, oh, you been asking? I’ve thought about calming down and going back to my timid and shy days, but then I think, nah... I’d be lying to us all.

1 comment: