Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The veil has a story to tell!

Most people are surprised to hear that my mother could care less about David Yurman and Prada, because most of the time a girl learns from her mother, but not me, I learned from my aunt. She has always gone above and beyond, wanting the best for me, and she is the sister I never had. My last week in Auburn, Rebecca had arranged for me to meet her for dinner. I was told that she would be with someone who she wanted me to meet, a good connection she described.The days leading up to the dinner, I was searching his name on Google and messaging her about what I should wear. I walked into Amsterdam’s CafĂ©, and noticed a table full of my friends and Rebecca sitting in the middle of them.Surprise! Not only does Rebecca go out of her way for me, but for others as well.Two football seasons ago, my grandmother’s neighbor was battling cancer. Every Iron Bowl, I remember her yard being festively decorated with orange and blue.As Ms. Roberts celebrated her last birthday, Rebecca had Tommy Tuberville call her to wish her a very special day. My entire life she has been there for me, making every moment special, so as she planned her August wedding, I was there every opportunity I could be, but this wasn’t unusual because wherever Rebecca went, so did I. I was there as she talked a police officer out of giving her a speeding ticket while driving to look for a wedding dress, I was there as she selected her china at the Wimberly House and I was there as she sealed her wedding invitations in the envelopes. I remember when she picked out her veil. We were at my grandmother’s house, and Rebecca was teaching me how to straighten my hair, but for some reason, we had to stop in the middle of the process. There we were at Ms. Gross’ shop trying on wedding veils. Rebecca was critiquing herself in the mirror as I stood by her side. After a few minutes of staring at her, I decided to look at myself, but I noticed something oddly familiar, and it reminded of black and white and 101. Cruella De Vil was staring back at me. There I was, one side of my hair was straight as a board while the other side resembled something similar to cotton candy. Still to this day, I don’t know why we cut the beauty shop time short, but I know who got the short end of the deal.

Notice the new beautician. I wasn't about to have a Cruella De Vil Repeat.

She's Celebrity Status

The First United Methodist Church of Scottsboro

Family Portrait

Becdie and Ms. Gross

Goosepond Plantation

No comments:

Post a Comment