Friday, February 26, 2010

The Age Old Question

Yesterday, I was strolling through Wal-Mart with my buggy when I received a text message from one of my best friendboy’s mothers. She explained someone told her I was getting married. The message put a smile on my face as I thought, oh lawd, this person has read my blog. One would think I had a groomie on my hands as much as I talk about love, weddings and babies. They probably even think I’m knocked up. So, please let me set the record straight. Every family gathering, my cousin Randy asks me the same question, “Where is he?” This year was no different, and neither was my answer, “Oh, there’s no boy.” I purposely position myself within his realm, so I will be asked the question. It’s almost as if I dread the day I say “Here he is.” I can just picture the scene. “Ugh. I just pushed him in the dumpster. He’s pilfering his way through the trash. He may or may not make it out.” Oh me oh my. I’ve never found anyone I wanted to introduce to my family as my boyfriend. And to be honest, I’m not searching. I know I talk about a romantic future, but the truth of the matter is I like being single. There are two questions I am asked in conversations. Do you have a job and do you have a boyfriend? Well, the job question I do not like, because I am still searching and interviewing, and I wish I could work at the Café forever, but I never avoid the boyfriend question, because I love my answer. Maybe it is selfishness or maybe it is contentment. A life fully dedicated to Christ without the distraction of a husband and wife relationship, I’m down with that. Of course I want children and to be dressed in white at the First Baptist Church, but I am satisfied with Anna Margaret and playing the role of a bridesmaid. I love attending parties by myself. The independent rush I get as I walk through the front door and greet the crowd, its like I am on American Idol. It pulls me out of my comfort zone, and I am forced to talk to people who I would have otherwise never introduced myself to. The thought of a boyfriend tagging along and me hoping he can talk to my friends and family isn’t very appealing. I tell people I love the single life, but then I have to explain that my single life isn’t the typical style. I’m not hooking up and hanging out. I’m spending the afternoon at the library reading and writing and taking pictures of the sunset on my days off at the Café. I have no idea what God has in store for my life. Next week I may have a blog entitled, “Oh, How the Tables Turn” that explains that God has allowed a boy to enter my life, and I don’t want him to exit. Or maybe ten years from now, I will be saying, “Yep, knew it.” There is no way I could predict the future. It’s God’s faithfulness and promise that gets me through. So this weekend, I will attend a wedding shower for Kaci and a birthday party for Eli by myself, and maybe I will be asked the question, “Where’s your boyfriend?” But for right now, I like things the way they are, me and God, and I am not looking for anyone who will rock the boat.

“But godliness with contentment is great gain.” -1 Timothy 6:6

To my matchmakers,

I really have appreciated the blind dates you have arranged. There is nothing I love more than meeting new people. Anyone who will listen to me for a few hours, well, lets line them up. They have also been really great for my Facebook friend count!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I wouldn't be called a matchmaker but maybe a matchdestroyer!? Do I get some credit for that??? And to those curious readers, no, I did not kill any relationship she had, just gave my warm and loving advice. That's what friends are for, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all, it did put you at the top slot of Lynette's "Chasley's Friend List." Hats off to the number one holder.

    ReplyDelete