Sunday, December 6, 2009

Primped, Propped and Posed


Our guest closet has accumulated many memorable items through the years such as my mother’s wedding dress and my christening gown. Hanging with these dresses are also the dresses that I wore in the magazine Sew Beautiful. At the age of four, I started modeling for this magazine that focuses on smocking, sewing and stitching. This went on for a few years, and at each fitting I would be uneasy that I was going to be pricked with a pin. I would stand so still in hopes that I would not feel a needle going into my side. The dresses had to be perfect, and as the lady carefully looked over the dress to make sure it fit like a glove, she would circle me with pins ready to make the proper adjustments. The photographer would tell me where to point my toes as he tousled my hot rolled hair and placed every ribbon perfectly against the fabric. Most of the time there was a young lad in the picture by my side. They loved to pair me with a boy. Whether I was holding his hand while picking flowers in a field or looking deep into his eyes as we climbed a tractor, there was a boy. He was usually wearing knee-highs and a one-piece short set that matched my dress. My mother would stand on the side of the photo shoot in hopes that I would be sweet Chasley and not embarrass her. She will always worry about me being mean to boys. Luke will talk about the days when he first moved to Scottsboro. He says Mary Jeanne and I were the meanest girls in school. In the third grade, we were fierce and ready for a rumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment