Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Thick as Thieves

The thing I like most about the relationship I have with my father is the way he handles me. Maybe because we are two of a kind, but he is the only one who can snap me back to reality and give me a dose of my own medicine. We e-mail throughout the day, and his humor always brings a giggle that leaves me smiling from ear to ear.

I needed curtains hung in my bedroom:

Subject: Handy Man

C: You have your hammer and nail ready, FREDDY?!

K: Anything for you… Sue.

One of my newly discovered quotes:

Subject: Words from the Wise.

C: “Oh, never mind the fashions, because when one has style of one’s own, it is always twenty times better.”

K: ”Oh, never mind the e-mails, because when one gets caught sending e-mails and not working, it will back to twenty-nine thirty-nine Clemons Road.”

My dad never responded to my nuptial news, but a little birdie told me he posted this e-mail on his “Smart Board” for office visitors to see, saying, “See what I deal with.”

Subject: One LUCKY Girl!

C: I think I’ve decided to get married in Ireland.

We weren't willing to be apart for 3 months, so he traveled to Rome to see me during my Study Abroad.

Dad, I can’t tell you how proud I am of you. I look back on my life, and I am brought to tears at how thankful I am for you. You have ALWAYS been there. I love you like no one else. Everything I have ever had, you have worked very hard for, and you have always provided Mom and I with far more than we deserve. God has given us the most amazing leader to guide our family. We can’t thank you enough for everything you mean to us.

Last winter, I met a boy who I was trying to impress. We were talking, and both being from the same small town, we already knew a little about each other. In the conversation he said, “I know your daddy. He’s a good man.” I said something to the effect of, “You got that right. Gah, I just adore him.” In my mind I was thinking, piece of cake, you know Keith Jackson. I’ve got you hook, line and sinker.

…and Dad, about the journalist, skateboarding and lead singer type.

Remember all those Class President speeches you wrote for me? I believe your words have received a few rounds of applauses. And you’re into exercising. They say variety in your routine is very important, so go ahead and grab the plank of wood. And musically talented. You just go ahead and pick your banjo you lefty you. And on the flip side, no telling what you could teach the boy. Afterall, look what you’ve done with me, I’m now baiting my own hook.

Lastly, thanks for breakfast this morning. You are probably the only one who could get me out of bed at 5:20 AM for a 6 o’clock appointment at Hardee’s.

1 comment:

  1. Question: can we get our dads together to play their banjo's? I see some magical music in their futures.

    ReplyDelete