Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Em the RN

Throughout mine and Em’s friendship, I have had the wonderful opportunity to spend time with and get to know her family, and it was the Fourth of July two years ago when I met Ann. Em’s aunt has a house on Lake Jordan, and it is tradition every year that the Harmon’s spend the red, white and blue celebration together. This also marked the start of Em Driving + Chas Riding = Blue Light Special, and I don’t mean the blueberries on the Flag cake. Ann immediately made me feel like part of the family. She’s one of those people you feel like you have known forever, and she immediately made me feel like I was with my own family. Ann, from day one you took me in as one of your own. Thank you for making me feel like an insider and treating me like family.

Ann wrote this poem for Em and read it at Em’s graduation party at the Lake. It's pretty fantastic.

In Honor of Emily

The time has come for us to cheer!

You have graduated and the real world is “somewhat” near.

It’s on to saving lives and fixing folks

What an awesome responsibility, and that’s no joke.

The genes were there, we knew this was true,

For you to follow in footsteps of only an elite few,

From Great Great Aunt Virginia, to Reaunt, to your truly, Aunt Ann

And lets don’t forget our Jayne Hitt, the best nurse in the land.

In salute of this accomplishment and all of its glory

This historical gift tells the beginning of the story.

So hang your award right along beside these

(If it goes with the room and the eye it will please)

Then stand by admiring; it’s OK to show pride

In knowing that YOU now belong to a very special tribe.

O the things you will see, the things you will do as you begin the journey,

Some good, some bad; and some just plain funny!

The strong and the weak, the rich and the poor; you will care for them all.

Trouble knocks on anyone’s door.

And when you get weary, and trust me you might

You still have a place where there’s really no strife

There’s no stressing or troubles and worries are few

It’s a place you can come if you’re feelin’ a little blue

If there’s just one thing I really must say

In giving the best advice that I know how to say

As simple as it is and elementary too,

Just remember to “Do unto others as you’d have them do unto you.”

For this isn’t a job in the usual way

The work is hard; there’s acceptable pay

There’s so much at stake, the rewards humbling and great,

In knowing for others, what a difference YOU can make

So I’m handing it all on over to you-

The symptoms, complaints, BP checks and the flu.

You’re it for our family-the new nurse in charge

We’re all getting old and our health problems could get large.

Nothing you can’t handle; nothing you ain’t got

I’m sure you’ve paid attention and know QUITE A LOT!!!!

Well once again; I’ve gone too long

I still hate to close and still want to sing a song

But this is about you and not about me, so here are my parting words to our Emily…

You’re called Emily, Emi and Em-bem by your dad,

But from here ever after you’ll have another to add

So use it with pride from beginning to end

‘Cause here’s to you Emily Catherine Harmon, RN

With love and pride on May 14, 2010 and always,

Aunt Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment